WHO is “the mess?”
Actually I’ve been trying to answer that question since 1957. I have a master’s degree in counseling psychology, have worked with people in both groups and individually for 22 years, and have spent oodles of time reading self-help books and going to therapy, and workshops myself. Yet I am often left with more questions than answers.
The most honest answer I can give you is… “I am a very experienced beautiful mess inside.” I believe our beauty and our mess go together and are simply parts of a whole, worthwhile, and lovable human being. While the messy parts can cause us great misery and unhappiness, the mess gives our lives texture, richness, and depth. I have a compelling desire to get the word out that being messy (or having a mess) does not mean we are broken. We humans have an amazing capacity for survival and revival. It’s all about practicing Radical Self-Acceptance. My Mission Statement spells it out.
I’m the most extroverted introvert I know. I can be brilliant, dark, and every shade in between. I have purple chunk of highlights in my hair – just cuz. Sometimes I feel alone in a crowd and other times I am crowded when I am alone. Writing and clicking pics* help me stay connected, focused, and present.
I have show and tell here….well because I can, and if it brings you a smile, an a-ha, a “thank goodness it’s not just me,” or even a “whew I’m glad I’m not her” then having a mind as busy as Manhattan during rush hour is worth it.
- I’ve been married to The Man since 1986. We’re so good at being “we” I’ve almost forgotten how to be me. And if I’m not me we aren’t “us.”
- I’m also an only child with no birth children of my own, but I have 4 bonus kids. My oldest step-daughter is five years younger than me (ooooops – we call it a “May-December” relationship.) The kids took the “go forth and multiply” thing very seriously! 14 times to be exact. Don’t ask me to list their ages (but I probably could.) Suffice it to say their ages span 17 years.
- There are also two dog babies in our clan. They are known as The Boogie Woogie Beagle Boyz. They are my muses.
- By day,
I’m a shrinkI sit on the other side of the couch and teach the things I most need to learn.
- But, right now I think my most important job is practicing Radical Self-Accepting. Which means learning how to be comfortable in my more than middle aged skin, life, and mind.
Hats I Wear Roles I Play Schtuff I Am/Do:
- Bonus Mom
- Grand Mom (that’s my bonus!)
- Wannabe Photographer
- Maybe Blogger
- Purple Haired Crazy Dame
- Giver of Good Facebook
Quester SeekerLost Person
- Beagle Lover
- Hot Yoga Yoghini
- Day Dreamer
- Occasional Good Cook (I only cook occasionally)
- Pool Floater
- Nap Taker
- Macaroni & Cheese Aficionado
- Apple Product Whore
- Flip Flop Whore (ok there’s probably a whole list of the types of Whores I am….hmmmm a future blog post?)
My life is full. I am FULL…to the point of spilling/boiling over at times. I’m searching for something I either lost or never found. I even know where it is. I’m here clearing a space…for me (and you.)
*Do the Right Thing:
Unless otherwise noted, the stuff on this site was written by me. The pics were clicked by me and if they weren’t I’ll give credit where credit is due. It would thrill me for you to quote me or even grab a picture of mine (no alterations please) and use it on your site. It would also thrill me for you to do the right thing and give me credit for the words or the photo. The highest compliment you can give me is to link to my site. So if you quote me, please add a hyperlink to the page you’ve quoted. I’ll do the same for you I promise. Got it? Got it! Cool.