I remember the day a therapist of mine told me every relationship I was in would end in one way or another… except the one I had with myself.
We are getting left by or leaving absolutely everyone. It’s dramatic and even traumatic to think about, but the stark truth of the statement emphasizes just how important it is to build the one relationship we are in forever.
A few of the things I’ve learned along the way:
- Be nicer to me. If I wouldn’t say it to my best friend, I’m not allowed to say it to myself.
- Be gentle with me. When I fuck up, remember I’m human. Learn from my mistakes. Self crucifixion is optional and not useful.
- No amount of self-hatred will save a relationship or make the world a better place.
- Don’t try on clothes when I’m having a “fat day.”
- A great pair of black pants with an elastic waistband and a few fabulous tunics are wardrobe essentials because bloating is forever when your period stops coming.
- It’s rare that I’ll be first on my list, but it’s essential to be ON my list.
- And when all else fails, all I have to do is breathe. Breathing is highly underrated.
She remembered them saying home is where the heart is. So she picked hers up off the floor, dusted it off, and put it back inside her own chest where it belonged.
She was home again.